- We are pleased to announce that a new ‘NeuroPong’ table tennis event will be held at the Huntsman World Senior Games in St. George UT in October 2022.
- St. George, Utah.
- Dates of the tournament are Monday, October 3 through Thursday, October 6.
- The date of this pilot ‘NeuroPong’ event is October 3.
- Antonino Barbera, MD, founder and CEO of ‘Table Tennis Connections’ will help to coordinate this pilot event, and will do so with organizational assistance from ‘Ping Pong Parkinson.' This event will involve 16 players with the following chronic progressive neurological conditions that affect movement and cognitive ability: Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s Disease (PD) and Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI).
- In holding this event, we want to offer an official stage to people experiencing these neurological conditions, dispelling the big taboo very often associated with them, both in sports and in society as a whole.
- We live in a time of celebrating life, and we are talking about life lived with quality, no matter what your mental and physical capabilities may be. These conditions are sometimes called “invisible diseases” but instead, we want to create an opportunity to shine some light on the effort that many people make to continue their journey.
- The total number of participants in the Huntsman World Senior Games table tennis tournament is 225. All must be members of USATT or an equivalent international organization.
- ‘Table Tennis Connections’ will help to coordinate the ‘NeuroPong’ event, managed by Antonino Barbera, MD.
- A total of 16 players with Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease and Mild Cognitive Impairment can enter the event.
- Individual registration for the Huntsman World Senior Games (ALL events) began on March 1 and will end on September 1.
- Information about OTHER events in the Huntsman World Senior Games table tennis tournament will be available at www.seniorgames.net
REGISTRATION for the ‘NeuroPong’ event and other events will ONLY be through the Huntsman World Senior Games website: www.seniorgames.net
The 16 players may enter the ‘NeuroPong’ event in 2 different ways:
Regardless of which way they enter, in order to be accepted in the ‘NeuroPong’ event, the 16 players will need to email the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
The player’s physician is more than welcome to communicate directly with Antonino Barbera, MD for any questions and/or clarification using the following email:
Great pictures..makes me smile inside and out.
What a wonderful way to show off a new game --Huntsman World Senior Games--Where people come for two weeks to play and spect
Given the challenges we are faced with-Parkinson's , MS and Mental-- this was the best opportunity to show off our abilities.
In spite of the fact that I have Parkinson's Disease and am dealing with "Freezing Gait" I was honored to be the doubles partner of Dr Antonio Barbera resulting in being undefeated and winning a gold medal. Thank you Antonio
It is so true that when one has a major physical situation or limitation such as Parkinson's or MS they are viewed differently.
This was a wonderful opportunity to show off our physical and mental abilities.
Antonio, Just a short note to let you know my appreciation for your organization http://tabletennisconnections.org was an amazing event with benefits to myself and many of my peers who deal with Parkinsons and MS. We all felt like we belonged to the Huntsman Senior Games and it was great fun along with great therapy for our neurological challenges.
Thank you and we all look forward to participating next year. Good luck in your endeavors and let me know how I can help. Best wishes.